THE GREEN REVOLUTION IN YOUR WARDROBE

Are you looking for a T-shirt that has a high-quality finish, is sustainably produced and can do pretty much anything functionally? Then you should definitely get to know our wood shirts made from Tencel™. The revolutionary fibre is on everyone's lips and is so popular for good reason. Find out here what makes Tencel™ so special.

ONE FIBRE - TWO CONCEPTS

Tencel™ equals Lyocell equals Tencel™, or what? Not quite! Both terms refer to one and the same fibre, namely Lyocell. However, the term Tencel™ refers to the registered brand name under which the Austrian company Lenzing AG exclusively produces the wood-based fibre. In contrast to commercially produced lyocell fibres, Tencel™ is produced in a self-contained production process and according to the highest criteria of sustainability and environmental protection.

A TRUE ALL-ROUNDER

What makes the fibre so special are its many useful properties: its surface is as smooth as silk, it warms almost as well as sheep's wool, cools like linen and is far more absorbent than cotton; in short, Tencel™ is extremely breathable, optimally regulates temperature and moisture and is also odour-neutral because it is antibacterial. Despite its solid structure, the fabric is silky soft and virtually crease-free and, if dyed in an environmentally friendly way - as we do in-house - it is also biodegradable.

FROM A WOODY SPITTOON TO A SKIN FLATTERER

And how do you turn a hard piece of wood into a soft fabric? It actually works. In a sophisticated process, Lenzing AG transforms the bulky wood into a supple yet robust fibre. The basic building block for this is cellulose. This cellulose is processed into Tencel™ fibres in a closed and environmentally friendly production process, which are then spun into yarns and knitted into pleasantly soft fabrics. Our high-quality ROTAUF Wood shirts are made from these sustainably produced fabrics, which are later dyed in an environmentally friendly way.

A ROUND THING

Compared to other fabrics such as viscose or commercially produced cotton, the production of Tencel™ is far more environmentally friendly, as the fibre is extracted from the wood using just one chemical in a closed production cycle. This guarantees that no harmful substances are released into the environment and the non-toxic solvent used for this, called N-methylmorpholine-N-oxide (NMMO), is recycled up to 99.8 per cent and added to the production process again and again. The remaining 0.2 per cent is purified and broken down in high-performance wastewater treatment plants.

FUELLED BY OWN DRIVE

Once the valuable raw materials have been extracted from the wood, 100% of the remaining residue is used to generate thermal energy and electricity, which is fed back into the production process in its entirety. This significantly reduces the consumption of water and energy, which ultimately benefits our environment and its resources.

WHERE THE RAW MATERIALS COME FROM

The wood used for production comes from sustainably managed forests that are FSC® (Forest Stewardship Council standards) or PEFC™ (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification Schemes) certified. The mammoth proportion of our Tencel™ fibre is made from wood from European beech forests. Due to the great demand for the environmentally friendly textile, Lenzing AG supplements its wood sourcing from other sustainably managed raw material sources on the world market, such as South Africa, Canada or the USA. This ensures secure procurement from responsible sources and makes a significant contribution to the preservation of forests and biodiversity.

FROM THE TREE TO THE SHIRT... TO THE TREE

And because all our ROTAUF products are coloured in accordance with the strict specifications of the Greenpeace Detox Commitment, you can simply bury your Wood shirt in the garden or compost after its long and adventurous life. Cut out the seams and labels first, as these are currently still made of plastic. With a little patience, a new, small plant will grow, which in turn can become a new, sustainably produced ROTAUF Wood-Shirt.